The demands of the LGBTI+ community in Serbia have not changed since 2017.
- Adoption of the Law on same-sex unions.
- Adoption of the Law on gender identity and an improvement in services available to trans people.
- Fast and adequate reaction from state authorities, as well as public condemnation by government representatives, of hate speech and hate-motivated crimes against the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Adoption of local action plans for the LGBTQIA+ community.
- An apology to all Serbian citizens who have been prosecuted or in any way discriminated against prior to 1994 due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Education for youth about sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Free and easily accessible pre-exposure and post-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP and PEP).
None of these demands have been fulfilled, despite the Government of Serbia’s publicly stated commitment to empowering and encouraging the LGBTI+ community.
EuroPride 2022 is a unique opportunity to put pressure on decision-makers, not only in Serbia but also in the Western Balkan region, to become engaged and work to protect the fundamental rights of citizens.